26 novembro 2023

IF CLAUSE (IV)

Future possible

- recommendation, instruction (if + present – imperative)

If you want to meet the guys, don’t be late.

- possible results if a condition is satisfied (if + present – will/can/may)

I will/can/may talk to Louis if I leave earlier today.


Present Unreal

imaginary present situations (if + past – would/could/might)

We would/could/might spend more time together if we lived closer.


Past Unreal

imaginary past situations (if + past perfect – would/could/might have + participle)

If you had been there, I would/could/might have gone crazy.


Zero conditional

general truths or scientific facts (if + present – present)

Plants die if they don't get enough water.


Mixed I

present consequences of a past action (if + past perfect – would/could/might)

We wouldn't be lost if we had looked at the map.


Mixed II

past result of a present situation (if + past – would/could/might have + participle)

If I weren’t in the middle of another meeting, I would have been happy to help you.



A. Match the sentences.

1. If Kennedy had lived,

2. If you leave milk in the sun,

3. American politics would be quite different today

4. If I had saved some money,

5. We would be lying on a beach in Curacao now

6. I have only yogurt for breakfast

  

( ) I could be better off now.

( ) he would be an old man now.

( ) if we had won last week’s lottery.

( ) it turns sour.

( ) if I don’t have a lot of time.

( ) if Ross Perot had become the president in 1992.

 

 

B. Choose the correct alternatives.

1. He would study at that university if he ___ the exam. But he didn’t.

a) passed

b) would have passed

c) had passed

2. Lucky dog! It would have died if they ___ it there.

a) see

b) seen

c) hadn’t seen

3. If we ___ on time, you have to pay a fine.

a) pay

b) don’t pay

c) paid

4. If we___ a good map, we wouldn’t be in the middle of nowhere now.

a) had bought

b) buy

c) bought

5. If I wasn’t afraid of flying, I ___ you in Chicago a long time ago.

a) would visit

b) would have visited

c) should visit

6. If my mother is not at home, I ___ the car with my father.

a) wash

b) would wash

c) had washed



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

MATÉRIA RELACIONADA AO LIVRO "CEM ANOS DE SOLIDÃO"

  Massacre das Bananeiras: conheça história real que inspirou “Cem Anos de Solidão ” O governo colombiano, para proteger uma empresa dos E...