19 junho 2023

AVALIAÇÃO BIMESTRAL 2 - 8º ANO 2023

QUESTÃO 01

Plague was one of history’s deadliest diseases – then we found a cure

 

Plague, known as the Black Death, the much feared disease spread quickly for centuries, killing millions. The bacterial infection still occurs but can be treated with antibiotics.

            Plague is one of the deadliest diseases in human history, second only to smallpox*. [...]

            [...] Rats have long been thought to be the main vector of plague outbreaks, because of their intimate connection with humans in urban areas.

            Scientists have more recently discovered that a flea that lives on rats, primarily causes human cases of plague. [...]

            Today, plague cases still pop up sporadically around the world – including in the United States or China, where a suspected case was recently reported in the inner Mongolia region. But the disease is no longer as deadly as it can be treated with antibiotics when available.

Available at: www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/theplague.

 

 

VOCABULARY:

Smallpox: variola

 

According to the text, Plague or the Black Death

can be prevented with vaccines.

a) was caused by a virus that killed many people.

b) was transmitted to humans by fleas.

c) hasn’t been around for centuries.

d) continues to be feared because it is incurable.

e) can be prevented with vaccines.

 

QUESTÃO 02

Read the text about Henry VIII.

            Henry VIII was King of England and Ireland from 21 April 1509 until 28 January 1547, and is perhaps one of the most famous monarchs in English history.

            Born on 28 June 1491 at Greenwich Palace in London, Henry was the second eldest son to Henry VII and Elizabeth of York.

            The young prince was never expected to become king, but when his older brother, Arthur, Prince of Wales, died unexpectedly at the age of 15, Henry became heir to the throne.

            Upon the death of his father, Henry was coronated on 24 June 1509 — he was just 17 years old. He immediately set about marrying his elder brother’s widow, Catherine of Aragon.

            Three of his children went on to rule England after him, and ironically, after his desperate pursuit of a male heir, it was his daughter Elizabeth who went on to become one of the greatest monarchs in English history, Elizabeth I.

 

According to the text,

a) Henry VIII was the King of England and Ireland for 39 years.

b) Henry always wished to be the King of England and Ireland.

c) Arthur reigned England and Ireland for a short period of time.

d) Henry didn’t accept to marry his brother widow, Catherine.

e) Henry’s daughter was a powerful Queen of England.

 

 

QUESTÃO 03

Read the following text about a girl’s problem.

 

Hello. So, I am in eighth grade right now and I have a problem.

My school work is pretty easy but I keep getting distracted by different things, which is causing me to turn in my work late and causing me to get 70's. This is really trashing my grades and I know it.

My parents care about my grades a lot though and think they are the most important over everything else. This is causing so many problems at my house.

I get yelled at a lot, my extracurricular activities have been taken away, and I am starting to feel awful every time I go home.

I am trying to break this habit, but I keep getting distracted by everything. Can you please help me?

- Distracted, 14

Available at: https://www.askdrm.org/col_teens.html.

 

According to the text, Distracted says that she is getting bad grades because

a) her school work is very difficult.

b) she gets distracted by everything.

c) her parents don’t care about her school work.

d) she is having a lot of problems at school.

e) she is forced to do extracurricular activities.

 

QUESTÃO 04

Read the following text.

I went with my wife to the bank yesterday morning. When we were already inside the building I noticed a young man carrying a big bag.

            I thought that it was strange, but then I ignored that. A few minutes later three guys joined him and then I started getting worried.

            Suddenly, the man I had seen first took a gun out of his bag and pointed it to the bank teller.

            The thief ordered her to put one million dollars into his bag, but she did not listen to him.

            She ran away and the robber shot her shoulder. She fell onto the ground and I ran to see if she was alive. I was terrified... The teller had only fainted but she was bleeding a lot.

            The robber’s partners started getting the money out of the safe. The moment they were not looking at me, I had the opportunity to call the police. After 10 minutes of negotiation the police arrived and arrested them.

            An ambulance was called by the policeman and the bank teller was taken to a hospital nearby. Fortunately, she is not in danger of dying.

            The next day, we were informed that those thieves were part of a gang who were committing crimes all over Europe.

 

According to the text,

a) there was a robbery at a shopping mal.

b) the thief was committing the crime alone.

c) the teller refused to give the money to the robber.

d) the manager of the shop called the police.

e) the police couldn’t get hold of the thieves.

 

QUESTÃO 05

Read the following text.

 

Have you ever witnessed a robbery in progress?

I ___ (leave) my apartment in an early afternoon on my way to work, when I and ___ (see) a robbery in progress.

Two guys on their bikes ___ (smash) a car window and ___ (grab) a bag from the back seat. It ___ (take) me a second to realize what ___ (happen), but eventually I ___ (shout) “HEY!”

While I ___ (run) towards them, they ___ (speed) off on their bikes, and the guy with the bag ___ (toss) it away.

 

Choose the alternative that completes the text with the Past simple or the Past Continuous correctly.

a) left; saw; smashed; grabbed; was taking; happened, were shouting; was running; was speeding; tossed

b) was leaving; were seeing; smashed; grabbed; took; were happening, shouted; were running; sped; were tossing

c) left; saw; was smashing; grabbed; were taking; was happening, shouted; ran; sped; tossed

d) were leaving; saw; smashed; was grabbing; took; was happening, was shouting; was running; were speeding; tossed

e) was leaving; saw; smashed; grabbed; took; was happening, shouted; was running; sped; tossed









1

2

3

4

5

B

E

B

C

E


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

MATÉRIA RELACIONADA AO LIVRO "CEM ANOS DE SOLIDÃO"

  Massacre das Bananeiras: conheça história real que inspirou “Cem Anos de Solidão ” O governo colombiano, para proteger uma empresa dos E...