17 dezembro 2023

AVALIAÇÃO BIMESTRAL 1 – 2ª SÉRIE 2023 (INGLÊS)

QUESTÃO 01

Deanna: I don’t believe it. How could you lie to me?

William: Wait, listen to me. I can explain.

Deanna: There’s nothing to explain. You were having dinner with another woman.

William: Yes, because I bought us a new house.

Deanna: What?

William: She’s a real estate agent. Her name is Sarah and I’ve just bought a house from her. It was supposed to be a surprise.

Deanna: Oh, gosh… I feel so stupid.

William: So do I, but ___.

 

Choose the alternative that best completes this dialog.

a) if I had told you where I was going, I would have spoiled the surprise.

b) if I told you where I was going, you might spoil the surprise.

c) I will spoil the surprise if I tell you where I’m going.

d) the surprise would be spoiled if I told you where to go.

e) if I tell you where I’m going, I will spoil the surprise.

 

QUESTÃO 02

Opinion: Fake News about the Corona Virus and science in general

By Marc Schiltz

 

The news about the Corona Virus epidemic is making many people hold their breath on a daily basis. A theory has been spreading on social media that the virus did not – as assumed – start on a market in the Chinese city of Wuhan, but that it was created in a lab where scientists experimented with viruses. The ‘theory’ is that something went wrong with their experiment and this led to the virus. Despite no foundation for this claim, it is spreading like fire, like the virus itself.

The internet and social networks pose a new and difficult challenge for dealing with information. Scientific studies have shown that false information spreads on social media up to ten times faster than truthful information, and that false information tends to reach a wider number of users.

Then there is the phenomenon of “social robots”: robots deployed on social media to spread information in a way where it appears they are real users. A recent study indicated that one quarter of the tweets about climate change were posted by such robots, with the majority devoid of any scientific foundation. This proportion was higher in certain topics—robots were responsible for 38% of tweets about “fake science” and 28% of all tweets about the petroleum giant Exxon.

Science struggles with Fake News. Most of the time, Fake News are short and very objective. On the other hand, Scientific and medical articles are long and complex. Still, science must try to fight back– for example what the WHO is trying to do with information about the Corona Virus epidemic.

One avenue is to get more visibility, for example by bringing science together with ‘influencers’, supporting science journalists, or increasing the communication coming directly from the scientists. Science actors can also create their own platforms with large visibility – as Luxembourg has done with science.lu.

It is clear – it will be a great challenge to limit the spread of Fake News and pseudo-science, just like the Corona Virus.

Available at: https://www.fnr.lu/research-with-impact-fnrhighlight/opinion-fake-news-about-the-corona-virus-andscience-in-general

 

The only statement, about the spread of fake news, which is TRUE, according to the text is

a) false information spreads as fast as truthful information.

b) truthful information spreads ten times faster on social media.

c) fake news spreads faster than truthful information on social media.

d) fake news spreads ten times slower than truthful information.

e) truthful information spreads slower on social media than on the internet.

 

QUESTÃO 03

Interview: ‘Any way you look at it, wars are evil’, UN Ukraine Crisis chief

 

UN News: The Russian war in Ukraine has reached a tragic milestone. Are there any hopes that this war will end anytime soon?

Amin Awad: “There is optimism that the war will end, because neither Ukraine nor Russia can afford it. Ukraine is suffering from the loss of life, the destruction of hospitals, schools, homes, railway stations and tracks, and the transport sector. And the sanctions on Russia are severe.

It is also destructive for the world. Ukraine supports about 15 to 20 per cent of the world’s food needs. This food is trapped, and we have another harvest season coming up: we have an impeding disruption of food pipelines and supply chains.

We’re also seeing inflationary problems and countries defaulting on their debt: Sri Lanka, for example, is unable to pay its loans. The world is not in a good place.

Available at: https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/06/1119642

 

Read an extract of an interview with Amin Awad, the UN Crisis Coordinator in Ukraine during the war in 2022. Which sentence correctly reports something he said in the interview?

According to Amin Awad, ...

a) Russia was suffering from the loss of life, the destruction of hospitals, schools, homes, railway stations and tracks, and the transport sector.

b) the sanctions on Russia weren't severe, but the world was in a good place.

c) Ukraine supported about 15 to 20 per cent of the world's food needs and that food was trapped in 2022.

d) the Russians are seeing inflationary problems and countries are defaulting on their debt.

e) there wasn't any optimism that the war would end, because neither Ukraine nor Russia wanted to negotiate.

 

QUESTÃO 04

The 25 Biggest Regrets In Life. What Are Yours?

Eric Jackson - Former Contributor

We are all busy. Life happens. There’s always something to distract us from getting around to certain things we know we should do. [...]

In the backs of our minds, we know we're neglecting some stuff we should do. But we never get around to it.[...]

Here is a list of the 25 biggest ones we’ll probably have. [...]

1. Working so much at the expense of family and friendships.  How do you balance meeting that short-term deadline at work and sitting down for dinner with your family?  It’s tough.  There are always worries. “What will my boss and co-workers think? It’s not a big deal if I stay late this one time.  I’ll make it up with the family this weekend.”  But the “making up” never seems to happen.  Days turn to months and then years and then decades.

2. Standing up to bullies in school and in life.  Believe it or not, a lot of our biggest regrets in life have to do with things that happened to us in grade 4 or some other early age. We never seem to forget – or forgive ourselves – for not speaking up against the bullies.  We were too scared. (1) And by the way most of us have also met up with a bully in our work life.  Maybe he was our boss.  We remember that one time (2) - even if it cost us our job.  We usually take some small solace in hearing that that bully later on made some unfortunate career stumble. [...]

Avavilable at: www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/10/18/ the-25-biggest-regrets-in-life-what-are-yours/ ?sh=3bab8c066488

 

Read the article extract. Choose the correct alternative for sentences (1) and (2).

a) We wish we were more confident. – we wish we told him off

b) We wish we are more confident. – we wish we tell him off

c) We wish we have been more confident. – we wish we have told him off

d) We wish we will be more confident. – we wish we'll tell him off

e) We wish we had been more confident. – we wish we'd told him off

 

QUESTÃO 05

I slept in the long room at the front of our house, and the only furniture was a bed and a cabinet which I had bought with some of the money I had been given as an award for campaigning for peace in our valley and the right for girls to go to school. On some shelves were all the gold-coloured plastic cups and trophies I had won for coming first in my class. Only a few times had I not come top – each time I was beaten by my class rival Malka e-Noor. I was determined it would not happen again.

The school was not far from my home and I used to walk, but since the start of last year I had been going with other girls by bus.[...] I liked the bus because I didn't get as sweaty as when I walked, and I could chat with my friends and gossip with Usman Ali, the driver, who we called Bhai Jan, or 'Brother'. He made us all laugh with his crazy stories.

I had started taking the bus because my mother was scared of me walking on my own. We had been getting threats all year. Some were in the newspapers, some were notes or messages passed on by people. My mother was worried about me, but the Taliban had never come for a girl and I was more concerned they would target my father as he was always speaking out against them. His close friend and fellow campaigner Zahid Khan had been shot in the face in August on his way to prayers and I knew everyone was telling my father, ‘Take care, you’ll be next.’

Extracted from: Yousafzai, Malala; Lamb, Christina. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban (pp. 3-4). Orion.

 

Read an extract of Malala Yousafzai's autobiography. Choose the correct alternative about the verb structures in bold.

a) The structures are in the Past Perfect. This tense is used to refer to past actions and events that happened after other actions and events in the past.

b) The structures are in the Past Perfect. This tense is used to refer to past actions and events that happened prior to other actions and events in the past.

c) The structures are in the Past Perfect. This tense is used to refer to past actions and events that happened at the same time of other actions and events in the past.

d) The structures are in the Present Perfect. This tense is used to refer to actions and events that began in the past and continue up to the present.

e) The structures are in the Present Perfect. This tense is used to refer to actions and events that happened in an unknown moment in the past.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

MATÉRIA RELACIONADA AO LIVRO "CEM ANOS DE SOLIDÃO"

  Massacre das Bananeiras: conheça história real que inspirou “Cem Anos de Solidão ” O governo colombiano, para proteger uma empresa dos E...